If you read me, you know I had a big change recently regarding the environment. It has always been in me, but for some reason I was sucked in into a different person than my true self. I had become very consumerist, and mindless in a way. They say that your true self always shines through, and even though I was becoming more and more successful with the store, inside of my heart I felt that I needed to make my store sustainable or I wouldn’t be completely happy with it. However, like all transition to old habits, its not that easy…
Firstly, adjusting to new habits can be a challenge; I bet you, like me, forget to take your reusable bags with you (I mean, who doesn’t?) Secondly, and very sadly, the U.S is not very environmentally conscious, so the system is set up in a way that it’s very easy for you to fail: Plastic everywhere, high paced life, disposable everything, cheap everything, I could go on… add kids to the equation and sustainability becomes more of an ancient challenge in your mind. In the spirit of helping someone who like me might not want to continue to destroy the planet mindlessly, here are some products that help you consume less:
- The reusable straw: I always ask waiters to bring my kids a normal cup, not a plastic cup, sometimes they know a mess is coming their way, and I know that too… However, avoiding the plastic straw sometimes seems impossible. I realized, even if I didn’t want to, sometimes I ended up using one. That’s when I decided I needed a reusable straw: comes in Amazon to save us! Love These because they are stylish and because with 8 of them, I’m sure I’ll manage to avoid straws for myself, and the whole family!
- The Reusable Bag That You Actually Re-use: My friend introduced me to Bagguu and it was love at first sight. First of all, you get to actually carry one thousand things in it, I’m not kidding, these are huge! They are very light weight and they fold in a square, perfect to carry with you anywhere. They are also stylish, I carry 3-5 in my bag, and use then according to my outfits. What I love the most, is that they are so light weight I carry them in my bag without even noticing. Photo courtesy of Ajaie Alaie
- Mesh Bags: These are lifesavers when grocery shopping. I’m not going to lie, I tend to forget these a lot but I do give them other uses. The mesh bag is perfect to keep produce, wash delicate lingerie, and I even use them as ziplock bags! The best part is that once you get into the habit of carrying these with you, you avoid the nasty lightweight supermarket bag to put your produce in. I never bought this, because I shop so much in Ajaie Alaie, and every single one of their products comes packed in those… but if you need them asap, you can buy them on Amazon.
- Reusable Cutlery: I eek at the thought of disposable cutlery. It’s one of those single use items that truly breaks my heart, you eat in 20 minutes, and then the fork sits on this earth for more than 200 years. Channel your inner frenchy and bring your cutlery with you everywhere! I use mine all the time, and I’m will always surprised at how much disposable forks I used to use in a week. You can buy them on Amazon as well. Click Here for mine
- The reusable water bottle/mug: My favorite bottle is the S’well, it keeps water cold for 24 hours or liquids hot for 12! and it has an easy to clean design, love this one because I can use it for coffee, or water… The best part? you’ll see how much money you’ll save once you start using a reusable bottle/mug. Love how stylish it looks, and all the colors it comes in!
Like all transitions, this one is not easy, but once you get a hang of it, you’ll love your new eco friendly self 🙂 Hope this products help you reduce your waste ❤